Focus Group Results
During the spring and summer of 2013, a clinical psychiatrist, with expertise in facilitating focus groups, met with key stakeholder groups: high school students, parents, mental health professionals, clergy, and school administrators.
The need for educational programming and support services were apparent.
Here are the recommendations based on what we learned from the focus groups:
- Provision of education through speakers, seminars, dissemination of written materials and through social media. Topics suggested include:
- understanding signs and symptoms of depression and other mental health issues
- alcohol and drug use
- the uses of social media
- issues related to age and stage development
- parenting issues
- physiology of stress
- adaptive problem solving and coping skills
- treatment models for mental health issues
- Mentoring opportunities
- Support groups for teens, seniors, parents and veterans on a number of relevant issues
- Identification of resources regardless of insurance or socio-economic status
- Additional support for school psychologists
- Increased awareness of mental health providers and programs (e.g. Mental Health Association, Teen Health Connection )
- Partnering with various mental health groups
- Ongoing exploration of emotional needs of seniors and veterans in our community
Additionally, we recognize our responsibility to know and understand policy issues surrounding mental health issues in our communities, our counties, our state, and our country.